Menu Close

WroMigrant – Work

First of all, in order to work in Poland, you must be a legal resident in the country. Citizens of the European Union member states may work in Poland without any additional formal requirements, while foreigners from outside the EU should obtain a work permit. Help in finding a job and support for foreigners is provided by relevant institutions, i.e. District Employment Agency and the National Labour Inspectorate. A number of doubts can also be resolved by “Zielona Linia” – a hotline dedicated to employment issues. WroMigrant along with non-government organisations such as Nomada and Ukraine Foundation (see chapter “Information Points for Migrants”) provide free of charge legal advice with regard to your stay and employment legalisation. If you work and earn in Poland, you are also subject to taxes, especially income tax (PIT).

In this chapter of our guide you will find out:

  • how to legalise work in Poland;
  • which questions are answered by “Zielona Linia”;
  • what do the District Employment Agency and the National Labour Inspectorate take care of;
  • how to effectively look for a job in Wrocław;
  • what taxes apply to you.

Legalisation of work

If you are an EU citizen, the subject of legalisation of work does not apply to you, as foreigners from the EU may work in the territory of Poland without additional formalities. However, if you are a foreigner from outside the EU and you entered Poland (based on a visa or visa-free traffic), it does not automatically mean that you can work here. You must obtain an additional work permit, which, for some nationalities, is a simplified form of the so-called “declaration on entrusting the performance of work to a foreigner”. There are also additional categories of foreigners who are exempt from the obligation to obtain a work permit. A detailed list of these categories can be found on the website of the Office for Foreigners (

If you do not belong to the category of persons exempt from the work permit requirement, the prerequisite for you to take up work is that it is legalised. You can legalise your job in three ways, namely by applying for:

  1. work permit
  2. single temporary residence and work permit;
  3. declaration on entrusting the performance of work to a foreigner (simplified procedure for citizens of: Armenia, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine).

Work permit

A work permit is a prerequisite for you to be employed in Poland. From a legal perspective work permit is an issue independent from the legalisation of stay. This refers to having a visa or residence permit. This means that when you come to Poland to work, you must make sure that your stay is legal. However, your employer should obtain documents entitling you to work in Poland and conditions for issuing you a visa or temporary residence permit for this purpose. Your employer is also obliged to keep copies of documents confirming your legal stay and work permit in Poland.

Work permits are issued at the request of your employer. The employer applies to the Governor for those. There are several types of such permits, depending on the location of the employer and the type of work performed (permanent or temporary). As a rule, a permit can be issued when the employer provides information that there are no unemployed people or jobseekers available on the local labour market.

These requirements often force employers to apply for a work permit before you come to Poland. You must know that under the Polish law you cannot employ a foreigner who does not have a valid work permit, and even one day of illegal work may have negative consequences for both the employer and the employee. For instance, it can prevent you from legalising your stay in Poland in the future. It can also result in an obligation to return to your country and a temporary ban to enter the Schengen area.

In accordance with the law provisions, applications for employment permits for foreigners in Poland submitted together with a set of necessary documents should be examined within one month, and particularly complex cases – within two months. However, practice shows that administrative proceedings in these cases may take longer.

Single temporary residence and work permit

You apply for a temporary residence and work permit yourself in the Lower Silesian Provincial Office. A temporary residence and work permit is granted when the purpose of your stay in Poland is to perform work and the following conditions are met:

  • you have health insurance, providing financing for “medical treatment costs” on the territory of Poland;
  • you have a source of stable and regular income, sufficient to cover the cost of living for you and your dependent family members;
  • you have a guaranteed place of residence in the territory of the Republic of Poland;
  • Before employing you in his/her company, your employer must check whether it is possible to employ a Polish citizen for your position;
  • Your salary must not be lower than the salary of people working the same number of hours and performing work of a comparable type or on similar position;
  • the amount of monthly remuneration referred to above is not lower than the minimum remuneration for work in a given year in Poland.

A single temporary residence and work permit is issued if the circumstances which are the basis for applying for the permit justify your stay on the territory of the Republic of Poland for a period longer than 3 months.

Declaration on entrusting the performance of work to a foreigner

If you meet the following criteria together:

  • you come from Armenia, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Russia or Ukraine.
  • Your period of employment will not exceed 6 months in the following 12 months;
  • the work you will be doing does not include seasonal work for which a permit is required;

then your employer is entitled to a simplified procedure for obtaining a work permit for you, called a declaration on entrusting work to a foreigner.

Your employer submits such statement to the District Labour Office in Wrocław (ul. Gliniana 20-22, 50-525 Wrocław) – in person or by post. You can also make such statement by electronic means on If an employee of the Authority finds any deficiencies or inaccuracies in the documentation, he or she shall request the employer to supplement the documentation or clarify the doubts. Your employer has 7 days to provide all the requested documents. If the declaration and annexes meet all the requirements, the employee of the Employment Office will enter the declaration in the register. The entry shall be confirmed by a declaration bearing the stamp of the office. The employer may collect it in person or by an attorney. The waiting time shall be up to 7 working days or, in the event of a hearing, up to 30 days. In the case of refusal, the employer may appeal against this decision within 14 days.

Remember: your employer will forward the registered declaration to you.

When you do NOT need a work permit, i.e. when you can start working in Poland without a work permit:

  • you are a citizen of a Member State of the European Union, the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland;


  • you are covered by international protection in the territory of the Republic of Poland (e.g. you have refugee status or were granted a subsidiary protection), you have a Pole’s Card, you are a teacher of foreign languages in institutions belonging to the education system, a graduate of Polish upper secondary schools and full-time higher education or a full-time student.

Important! The work permit is assigned to a specific employer. This means you need a new work permit every time you change employer. Therefore, if you already know that you want to change jobs when you work for one employer, you should first obtain a permit to work for a new employer. The process of obtaining a new work permit in the Lower Silesian Provincial Office takes much longer than the deadline specified in the Act. It may take even up to 6 months. As a rule, termination of the employment relationship requires informing the office about it and submitting an application for a new residence permit within 30 days from the date of termination of the employment relationship. Foreigner is obliged to notify the Governor who granted this permit in writing, within 15 working days, about the termination of the employment relationship.

Zielona Linia

Detailed information and answers to your questions concerning employment can be obtained from the information and consultation centre of the employment services “Zielona Linia”, tel. no. 19524 and on the website of “Zielona Linia”: (PL/EN/RU).         

“Zielona linia” will provide you with information on labour market services, benefits and support offered by labour offices, as well as answers to questions concerning the Act on Promotion of Employment and Labour Market Institutions and the Labour Code, including information on:

  • current job offers (domestic and foreign);
  • rights on the labour market;
  • co-financing of economic activity;
  • training and retraining opportunities;
  • reimbursement of the employee’s employment costs;
  • recruitment of workers;
  • benefits from the District Employment Agency;
  • databases of contact details of District Employment Agencies, employment agencies, information and career planning centres and others.

Additionally, “Zielona Linia” portal offers information and support services, i.e:

  • automatic search of job advertisements;
  • automatic search of training offers;
  • automatic search of workers;
  • automatic search of information from the regions;
  • a CV factory that gives you the opportunity to create a CV from scratch and translating it;
  • newsletter for 4 target groups: employers, jobseekers, people interested in returning to Poland and general.

If you are an employer yourself – you can submit a demand for jobs and “Zielona Linia” will engage in searching for people who meet the criteria required by you.

Contact with “Zielona Linia” is very simple. You can call the following number: 19524 or write an email. No matter which option you choose, you will always get full and up-to-date information.

Number for international calls: +48 22 19 524 or +48 22 53 75 400

Correspondence address:

Centrum Informacyjno-Konsultacyjne Służb Zatrudnienia Zielona Linia
Ciepła 40 (building E)
15-472 Białystok
Helpline hours:
Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 18:00

Institutions: District Employment Agency (PUP) and the National Labour Inspectorate (PIP)

District Employment Agency (PUP)

District Employment Agency (Powiatowy Urząd Pracy – PUP) handles multiple tasks related to promotion of employment and activation of the local labour market. PUP helps, i.a. the unemployed and jobseekers in finding employment (in particular through employment job agency), conducts career counselling and trainings and gives grants to people who would like to start their own business. PUPs also operate within the EURES (European Employment Services) platform, which helps jobseekers find employment in Europe.

Moreover, PUP provides assistance to employers during the process of employee recruitment, in particular by refunding the costs of creating a job position for the newly employed persons, financing of employees and the employer continuing education, or in case of employing foreigners as part of work permits for seasonal work for foreigners from outside of EEA (European Economic Area) and as part of “simplified” procedure – declarations on entrusting the performance of work to the citizens of Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Georgia, Armenia and Moldova.

Powiatowy Urząd Pracy we Wrocławiu (District Employment Agency in Wrocław)
Gliniana 20-22
50-525 Wrocław
Opening hours:
Monday to Friday from 7:30 to 14:30

More information can be found here: (PL).

National Labour Inspectorate (Państwowa Inspekcja Pracy – PIP)

The National Labour Inspection Authority enforces labour law and health and safety at work, carries out inspections and takes preventive measures to reduce accidents at work and to ensure that employers and employees respect labour law. All employers and entrepreneurs for whom work is provided by natural persons, including self-employed persons, regardless of the basis of work performance, are subject to the control of the National Labour Inspectorate – with respect to health and safety at work and the legality of employment. So if you are hiring an employee on the basis of a contract of mandate or a contract for specific work, you must also be prepared for a visit by a labour inspector.

Okręgowy Inspektorat Pracy we Wrocławiu (District Labour Inspectorate in Wrocław)
Zielonego Dębu 22
51-621 Wrocław
phone number: 71 37 10 430

The District Labour Inspectorate in Wrocław does not respond to anonymous e-mails or mail. Correspondence should contain a precise indication of:

  • the person from whom it originates,
  • the address of that person,
  • the case in question.

Free legal advice on labour law in the District Labour Inspectorate in Wrocław

Telephone advice is provided from Monday to Friday from 9:00 to 15:00at the Counselling Centre of the National Labour Inspectorate (hours are subject to change).

phone number: +48 801 002 006 – for persons calling from landline phones.

phone number: +48 459 599 000 – for persons calling from landline phones.

Advice is given in person at the headquarters of the National Labour Inspectorate, at ul. Zielonego Dębu 22, in rooms no. 2 and 3, on Monday from 10:00 to 18:00 and from Tuesday to Friday, from 10:00 to 14:00 (hours are subject to change).

For more information, please visit the following websites:

  • Okręgowy Inspektorat Pracy we Wrocławiu (District Labour Inspectorate in Wrocław): (PL);
  • Główny Państwowy Inspektorat Pracy (Chief Labour Inspectorate): (PL/EN).

Job search

We have good news for those who plan to work in Wrocław! The capital of Lower Silesia offers many jobs and the unemployment rate in the city is one of the lowest in the country.

You can look for work in many ways, both through direct contact with your employer and as well as through:

  • the European Employment Service’s (EURES) job offer network (, when you come from the EU Member States, the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland;
  • central database of job offers of district labour offices (PL);
  • employment agencies, whose legal register you can find here:; employment agencies cannot charge fees for finding a job, they can only do so if there is a need, for example, to translate documents and so on;
  • newspapers with the job advertisements;
  • internet portals with job offers, i.e.:

– LinkedIn
– Goldenline
– Jobrapido

For more information please call Zielona Linia (19524) or visit the website: (PL, EN, UA, RU).


Tax settlement is the responsibility of every taxpayer, regardless of the source of income. Remember to settle your taxes within the set deadline, i.e. no later than 30 April each year (settlement for the previous year).

The tax return consists of special documents, called PITs, available at every tax office and on the Internet. It is very easy and popular to submit PIT declarations by electronic means. You just need a special program that can be downloaded for free (e.g. e-pity) and an Internet connection.

For the settlement of the PIT declaration we have a strictly defined time limit. A delay may cause, i.a. a fine, and failure to submit a PIT declaration may even result in an accusation of committing a tax crime. Detailed information concerning all types of PITs can be found on website.

By the end of February each year, an employer must send a PIT-11 form to the employee or submit it directly to the Tax Office, with information on income, tax deductible costs, tax deductible advances, social security and health insurance. In practice, therefore, it is possible to prepare an appropriate tax return from 1 March. By 30 April, each taxpayer must file a PIT return with the relevant tax office (depending on the address of residence). This deadline shall be final and absolute.

What is important for married couples is that in Poland spouses can settle taxes together. This is particularly beneficial when one person does not work or has a low income. There is one condition for this type of settlement – timely submission of an appropriate PIT return by 30 April.

You can get help with tax settlement from information points in tax offices and non-governmental organisations. There are 5 tax offices in Wrocław. When submitting a PIT, the address of your residence is taken into account, not your registered residence address.

Tax office search engine:

Enter your address and the search engine will show you the tax office where you should file your PIT return.

The opening hours of tax offices are usually as follows:

– Monday from 7:30 to 18:00
– Tuesday to Friday from 7:30 to 15:30

Please note that hours are subject to change and it is always worth checking them.

Tax offices in Wrocław

Urząd Skarbowy Wrocław Fabryczna
Ostrowskiego 5
53-238 Wrocław
phone number: +48 71 797 73 00
Range in Wrocław (housing estate):
Gajowice, Gądów Mały, Grabiszyn, Grabiszynek, Jarnołtów, Jerzmanowo, Kozanów, Kużniki, Leśnica, Maślice, Muchobór Mały, Muchobór Wielki, Nowy Dwór, Oporów, Osiniec, Pilczyce, Popowice, Pracze Odrzańskie, Stabłowice, Strachowice, Złotniki, Żerniki

Urząd Skarbowy Wrocław Krzyki
Sztabowa 100
53-310 Wrocław
phone number: +48 71 338 92 01
Range in Wrocław (housing estate):
Bieńkowice, Bierdzany, Borek, Brochów, Gaj, Jagodno, Klecina, Krzyki, Księże Małe, Księże Wielkie, Ołtaszyn, Opatowice, Partynice, Południe, Rakowiec, Tarnogaj, Świątniki, Wojszyce

Urząd Skarbowy Wrocław Psie Pole
Trzebnicka 33
50-231 Wrocław
phone number: +48 71 326 52 00
Range in Wrocław (housing estate):
Karłowice, Kleczków, Kłokoczyce, Kowale, Lesica, Ligota, Lipa Piotrowska, Osobowice, Pawłowice, Polanka, Polanowice, Popiele, Poświętne, Psie Pole, Rędzin, Różanka, Sołtysowice, Strachocin, Swojczyce

Urząd Skarbowy Wrocław Stare Miasto
Inowrocławska 4
53-654 Wrocław
phone number: +48 71 786 67 00
Range in Wrocław (housing estate):
Stare Miasto, Przedmieście Świdnickie, Szczepin

Urząd Skarbowy Wrocław Śródmieście
Piłsudskiego 27-29
50-044 Wrocław
phone number: +48 71 343 53 76
Range in Wrocław (housing estate):
Bartoszowice, Biskupin, Dąbie, Nadodrze, Ołbin, Plac Grunwaldzki, Sępolno, Zacisze, Zalesie

Consultations for foreigners on PIT settlements

A few weeks before the end of the personal income tax settlement period (February/March) the Ukraine Foundation conducts consultations for foreigners. They are subject to previous provisions, therefore we suggest you contact the Foundation directly under the following address:

For more information please visit:

“Settlement of PIT in Wrocław” initiative

Every year Wrocław organises the “Settlement of PIT in Wroclaw” initiative to encourage people working here to settle tax in the city. There are attractive prizes to win.

For more information, please visit the following websites:

Przewiń do góry