WROmigrant – Public transport
There is an extensive network of public and suburban transport in Wrocław, thanks to which you can easily reach any place. Moreover, the city invests in pro-ecological solutions such as trams, trains, city bikes and scooters.
In this chapter of our guide you will find out:
- where to buy bus and tram tickets;
- how to use city bikes and scooters;
- where to buy train tickets.
Buses and trams
You can buy tickets for trams and buses at the ticket vending machines located at the bus/tram stops (payment by cash or card – contactless), directly in the vehicle (payment by card only) or at “RUCH” newsagent’s (payment by cash or card). If your planning to stay in Wrocław for longer, it is a good idea to apply for an Urbancard. You can encode any ticket, including a long-term one, on this card.
Remember! City buses and trams in Wrocław are free of charge for students attending schools in Wrocław (they only have to show a valid ID card). Persons over 68 years of age can also travel free of charge (upon presentation of an identity card or other document with a photograph proving their age).
How to use ticket machines on buses and trams
The system of contactless payments for tickets in public transport vehicles is very convenient for travellers in Wrocław. When you get on a tram or bus, you will find machines with displays mounted by the seats. See how to use them: See how to use them:
- Come to the display.
- Select a language by clicking on one of the flags in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Choose the right ticket.
- Confirm your ticket selection with the green button at the bottom of the display.
- To pay for the ticket, put a payment card that supports contactless payment into the panel below the display – you have just bought a paperless ticket saved on your payment card.
It’s good to know:
- In case of an inspection, you must show the controller the payment card that you paid for the ticket. The controller’s reader will confirm the validity of the ticket.
- In public transport vehicles you will not buy a paper ticket, but an electronic one.
- If you have a paper ticket that you bought outside the vehicle, validate it in the same machine where you can buy a close-up ticket, you will find the punch under the display.
- Tickets for buses and trams can be one-time, temporary (for a certain number of minutes) and long-term (e.g. 7-day, 30-day, half-year, annual, semester). A single ticket entitles to a single journey on one means of transport only. A time ticket, on the other hand, entitles you to use an unlimited number of journeys during the period for which it has been purchased. The moment you validate your ticket, the time of your journey begins.
For more information, see this:
- pl/wroclaw/track – search engine for transport connections and public transport travel planning;
- urbancard.pl – Urbancard will come in handy, if you use public transport on a daily basis, as you will easily encode long-term tickets on it;
- wroclaw.pl/rozklady-jazdy – timetables of public transport in Wrocław: tram and bus lines within Wrocław;
- wroc.pl/en/tickets/tickets-types-and-prices – types of public transport tickets.
Wrocław City Bike
Wroclaw City Bike (WRM) is a means of transport allowing you to move quickly and ecologically around the city. During rush hours, it will allow you to reach your destination in time. Before your first rental, you must register in the system and fund your account. You can rent a bike using mobile applications and in most systems also contactless payment cards.
For more information, please visit wroclawskirower.pl/en.
Electric scooters are an interesting transportation solution available in Wrocław. All you need to rent a scooter is a mobile app.
For more information, please see:
- google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.limebike&hl=en – link to the Lime application;
- google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ridehive.app&hl=pl – link to the Hive application;
- google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.bird.android&hl=pl – link to the Bird application.
Remember to be very careful on the road and park the scooter in the right places. Do not leave your scooter on the road, stops or other traffic areas, as this will endanger your safety.
You can also travel by train within the city borders. You can buy train tickets online, at the railway station ticket office, from a conductor (ticket inspector) or at a railway station equipped with vending machines. If it is possible to purchase a ticket at the station, purchasing a ticket from the conductor will result in an additional fee. In specific cases you can also use your public transport ticket to travel by train.
For more information, please see:
- pl/en/offers-and-promotions/regional-offers/traveling-by-train-in-the-wroclaw-city-with-public-transport-ticket – public transport tickets accepted by the railway company;
- www.kolejedolnoslaskie.pl/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Schemat-Dolno%C5%9Bl%C4%85skie-KD-PR-2018-19.pdf – a connection map